In this episode, we speak with Comgest portfolio manager Alistair Wittet We discuss his approach for building a focused portfolio of high-quality European growth companies and the most important criteria he looks at. We also dig into the characteristics that define great long-term brands, the current economic situation in Europe, how the European growth universe differs from the US one and a lot more.
- 3:55 – How Alistair went from a Geography major to a portfolio manager
- 07:25 – The current European inflation situation
- 09:00 – How Alistair views macro variables in his investment process
- 11:03 – Three trends that will shape Europe in the next decade: Energy Transition, Digitization, Aging Population
- 18:53 – How the European growth universe varies from the US
- 20:41 – The great long-term brands of Europe
- 22:31 – How Alistair defines growth
- 24:27 – How Alistari defines quality
- 28:14 – The role of valuation in Alistair’s process
- 31:04 – Have intangible assets changed growth investing
- 32:20 – How Alistair views tracking error
- 34:05 – Analyzing when to sell growth companies
- 38:41 – The quantitative aspects of Alistair’s process
- 39:52 – The pros and cons of speaking with management
Originally Posted August 31, 2023 – High Quality Growth Investing in Europe with Alistair Wittet
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Campus that is provided by third-parties does NOT constitute a recommendation that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Campus are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Validea Capital Management and is being posted with its permission. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Validea Capital Management and Interactive Brokers is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell any security. It should not be construed as research or investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security or commodity. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.