In this episode, we speak with Essentia Analytics founder Clare Flynn Levy. Essentia has developed software to evaluate investment managers and help them improve as investors. We discuss what Clare has learned through that process and the lessons all of us can take from it.
- 02:02 – Clare’s background and what led her to found Essentia
- 08:25 – The type of data Essentia looks at when evaluating managers
- 11:43 – The biggest mistakes investment managers make
- 13:58 – Focusing on strengths vs. weaknesses
- 14:52 – Quantifying the impact of mistakes
- 16:13 – The impact of soft data and external factors on manager performance
- 20:09 – The behavioral alpha benchmark
- 24:19 – Win rates and the impact of big winning positions
- 26:14 – Do investment managers add value with their decisions?
- 29:09 – How to properly deliver feedback
- 33:54 – How the feedback process works
- 36:34 – Discretionary vs. quantitative managers
- 42:33 – The role of artificial intelligence in manager evaluation
- 45:43 – Assets vs. alpha
- 51:16 – The biggest lesson investors can learn from the evaluation of professional managers
- 53:50 – The one lesson Clare would teach the average investor
Originally Posted August 17, 2023 – Lessons from Evaluating Investment Managers with Clare Flynn Levy
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Campus that is provided by third-parties does NOT constitute a recommendation that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Campus are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Validea Capital Management and is being posted with its permission. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Validea Capital Management and Interactive Brokers is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell any security. It should not be construed as research or investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security or commodity. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.