In this episode of Show Us Your Portfolio, we speak with Damped Spring Advisors founder Andy Constan. Andy has spent his career working at some of the most successful firms in the asset management industry, including Bridgewater and Brevan Howard and he explains how the lessons he has learned throughout his career led to how he constructs his portfolio today. We discuss how he combines a risk parity approach with alpha seeking strategies to maximize long-term returns and minimize risk. We also cover Andy’s current view on stocks and bonds, factor investing, international diversification and a lot more.
- 02:46 – Andy’s goals with his portfolio
- 04:44 – Andy’s views on retirement
- 06:40 – Building a multi-asset portfolio
- 08:24 – An all weather portfolio strategy
- 12:04 – Adding an additional allocation to alpha generating assets
- 16:15 – The importance of knowing yourself
- 18:46 – The specifics of Andy’s all weather strategy
- 24:50 – The challenge of compliance restrictions
- 27:04 – Andy’s views on active management
- 29:53 – Andy’s views on international exposure
- 33:43 – Prudently using leverage
- 41:15 – Andy’s view of the current macro landscape
- 45:48 – Andy’s view on leaving money to children
- 49:19 – Things Andy spends money on to increase his enjoyment of life
- 52:55 – The one lesson Andy would teach the average investor
Originally Posted September 14, 2023 – Show Us Your Portfolio: Andy Constan
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Campus that is provided by third-parties does NOT constitute a recommendation that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Campus are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Validea Capital Management and is being posted with its permission. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Validea Capital Management and Interactive Brokers is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell any security. It should not be construed as research or investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security or commodity. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.