In this episode, our good friend Cullen Roche returns to the podcast for his 5th appearance. But this time, instead of talking about the macroeconomy as we have in his previous appearances, we discuss how he manages his personal portfolio. We talk about Cullen’s unique approach of matching the duration of the asset classes he invests in with his personal goals. We also discuss whether his macro views influence his portfolio, how he looks at international diversification, his views on leaving money to children and a lot more.
- 02:32 – Cullen’s goals with his personal portfolio
- 04:50 – Matching the duration of assets with liabilities
- 09:38 – How Cullen views retirement
- 14:28 – Do Cullen’s macro views influence his portfolio?
- 18:06 – All duration investing
- 26:57 – The liquid asset classes Cullen uses in his portfolio
- 29:10 – How Cullen views his allocation to bonds
- 32:27 – How Cullen views his equity allocation
- 35:04 – Cullen’s views on using valuation in an equity strategy
- 37:52 – How Cullen views international diversification
- 40:48 – When strategies that work over the long-term stop working for extended periods of time
- 42:32– Cullen’s view on private investing
- 47:24 – Cullen’s view on crypto
- 53:57 – Does Cullen look at his house as an investment?
- 58:51 – Cullen’s views on leaving money to his children
- 01:01:35 – Don’t buy a boat
- 01:03:03 – The joys of gardening
- 01:05:40 – The one lesson Cullen would teach the average investor
Originally Posted September 12, 2023 – Show Us Your Portfolio: Cullen Roche
Disclosure: Interactive Brokers
Information posted on IBKR Campus that is provided by third-parties does NOT constitute a recommendation that you should contract for the services of that third party. Third-party participants who contribute to IBKR Campus are independent of Interactive Brokers and Interactive Brokers does not make any representations or warranties concerning the services offered, their past or future performance, or the accuracy of the information provided by the third party. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
This material is from Validea Capital Management and is being posted with its permission. The views expressed in this material are solely those of the author and/or Validea Capital Management and Interactive Brokers is not endorsing or recommending any investment or trading discussed in the material. This material is not and should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell any security. It should not be construed as research or investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security or commodity. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.